Day 10: Take a nap.
The objective was to slow down.
I’m incredibly social. Butterflies have nothing on me. I actually have anxiety at the thought of missing out on anything. Consequently, I spend the better part of my life doing everything.
My roommate is always making fun of me. “What are you doing tonight?” she’ll ask at 5:30PM after a hard day at work and my butt seems parked on the couch watching TV.
“Nothing. I just need a break. I’m staying home tonight,” I’ll answer.
“No you won’t. You always say that and then you always go out anyway.”
She’s right. I have probably once in the two years of living with her said I would stay home the entire evening and then stayed home an entire evening.
I’m getting older and though you may expect me to state how tired my body is, I’m considerably more laden down by how tired my mind is.
Tonight, I came home from playing with friends. It was an early night for me. I strolled into an empty apartment and staggered into the living room. The street lamps cast shadows on our walls and I fell down into the couch for a moment to think.
My mind started racing. Even though I knew the east coast was two hours ahead and my sister, a mother of four, was probably in bed, I still decided to call her. Because I had a financial question. And if I can get just one more thing off my mind, maybe I’ll feel less exhausted.
However, I digress. Today at work, things were slow. I was doing my best to proactively keep my mind from drifting on a day whose mental equation was perfectly constructed to do so.
I slouched in my work chair replaying a moment of the morning over and over again. I just needed a nap. If only I could take a nap, I don’t know, maybe it would all be better.
Then the idea came. Go home and take a nap.
Ten minutes later I was peeling off my boots, slipping out of my dress, and sliding into bed.
There is nothing better than going against the masses. I think it’s why I prefer being a night owl. I feel peace when I know others are tucked away in their beds resting. While they sleep, I’ll grocery shop, do laundry, or go for a drive to clear my mind.
Napping in the middle of the workday gave me the same kind of high. Only the sun was out. I turned my phone to vibrate. Trust me. There was a smile on my face as I effortlessly fell asleep.
Monday, March 22, 2010
Zzzzzzz
Posted by Biz at 10:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Oh girl I hear ya! i took a nap in the middle of my work day today too. Nothing feels better.
Post a Comment