Day 5: Try a brand new recipe.
My intention for slipping a toe into the world of domesticity was to widen my experience in being a “jack of all trades.”
I enjoy people. My business, my livelihood, my very keep depends on me relating to people. The reason I excel at it is because I genuinely enjoy people.
Yet to relate to many different types of people is to find a common interest to build a relationship on. I enjoy and seek opportunities to be a “jack of all trades.” Trust me. I’m aware I’m the master of none.
So for this task, I put feelers out to my friends. It went like this.
E: I need a recipe I’ve never made before.
S: Ooohh, aebelskivers.
E: What?
S: Aebelskivers. They’re Scandinavian and delicious and you’re going to love them.
E: Say it again.
S: Aebelskivers.
E: Are you kidding me?
S: Aebelskivers. They’re Scandinavian and delicious and you’re going to love them.
E: What the heck. (Her enthusiasm alone sold me.)
Aebelskivers. If you search them online, you’ll want to search for ebelskivers because they’re “Scandinavian and delicious” but unless you can find the little symbol which will run the A and the E into each other, you might as well submit to our Americanized spelling of it.
You’re searching for them online because you’re going to need a special pan to make them.
I started by making the dinner appointment for after work. I sadly moseyed into my friend’s house, and immediately laid face down into the carpet on the living room floor.
Then I had a meltdown.
As actively as anyone is in finding joy in life, every now and then a rough day is going to creep in and I suppose it’s my fault for peeing in the pool.
Upon returning to my mission, my blonde haired, blue eyed friend asked if I remembered the buttermilk. The only ingredient she asked me to bring.
Enter expletive. Back into the car and off to the store we went. (We both drink soy milk, so before you offer up the vinegar/cow milk trick, it was off the table in this instance.)
I basically forsook my Irish heritage on this St. Patrick’s Day for a Danish indulgence which obviously reminded me of the Chronicle of Narnia’s Turkish Delight.
I'm Peter (clearly) in the white witch's sleigh (the grips of boy) trading my birthright (a proper Irish adult beverage) for temporary relief (aebelskivers.)
The result is a pan fried ball scone crepe crispy smooshy spongy pastry pancake piece of goodness. How to eat it includes but is not limited to butter, powdered sugar, jam, chocolate fudge, cream cheese spread, syrup, or any combination if not a combination of all of the above (which I did.)
These aebelskivers were EXACTLY the perfectly fit recipe, from the perfectly matched company, to remedy the perfectly sour disposition, combating the perfectly rotten four o’clock, of an otherwise perfectly decent holiday.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Eating Ebelskivers Emotionally - Who? Me?
Posted by Biz at 10:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I learned about these things earlier this year. My friend was talking about how she got the pan and was so excited. So I googled the pan and then the dessert and found their existance. Still have never tried them.
Yay! Love them! Aebelskivers are a huge tradition in my Danish family! We have them on New Years Day and on other special occasions throughout the year. There really is an art to cooking them though - and keeping the temp just right and turning them just so...plus it takes so long to cook up a whole bunch and each person can down a plateful in one sitting easily! So we only have a few Aebelskiver chefs in my family. Glad you enjoyed them! I'm headed to Denmark this summer to connect with my roots...and enjoy their pastries!! love ya liz! (hope your friend said the name properly with some good Danish fluctuation in his voice - its soooo fun to hear!
Post a Comment