Monday, March 29, 2010

From Romanticism To The 20th Century

Day 17: Share a piece of you with the world.

It seems to me nowadays, everyone keeps a secure lockdown on their inner selves to the world. So I figured I’d share a piece of me with you to combat any natural tendencies I may have lingering in the wake of an experience or two.

Tonight I present to you, after a very professionally difficult and emotionally stressful day, my top five songs I decompress to at work, home, or wherever else I may deem necessary. Of course they share matching genres but I listen to them in the same order each time.

Don’t rush the calm. Peace feels sweeter when you allow the unyielding angst to soften, liquefy, and then dissolve from your being.

5. Sergei Prokofiev – Toccata in D Minor Op 11: I love this piece. I always start with this toccata because although it may not be the most soothing classical piece out there, it is a piece which acts as a showcase for any virtuoso pianist. Every time I hear it, I dream about being THIS good. A piece so technically challenging, the composer himself confessed, while good with his technique, he was not good enough to master it. Uh-may-zing. (youtube the Vladimir Horowitz version. Wait until 3 minutes and 30 seconds into it until you hit that sweet spot (known as the theme) after those chromatic scales and repeating D’s… you’re welcome.)

4. Johann Sebastian Bach – Cello Suite No 1 G Major AND No 2 in D Minor: Though titled The Six Suites for Unaccompanied Cello, most recognize them as the cello suites. I refuse to allow the commercialism of the first movement to offput me from the genius which is Bach even outside of the piano. I don’t care how many jewelry companies have corrupted these pieces in advertisements, I love them. Also I want to have the framed sheet music of the first movement hung as art in my home. It’s a visual masterpiece. (The melodic swelling from about 1 minute and 45 seconds until 2 minutes and 15 seconds.)

3. Frederic Chopin – Etude Op 10 No 3: Perhaps better known as his Etude in E, this piece stills my mind. I have a sentimental connection for it as I know it to be one of my mother’s very favorites. She would play and replay it over in the car and it is one of few pieces I ever heard my mom rewind and start again upon completion. Finally, I was asked to play this piece for my entire high school my junior year as National Honor Society inductees were announced. (Obviously I was not inducted as I sat in a corner of the stage creating an ambiance.) Playing publically and classically can be unnerving. Yet this piece was powerful enough in tranquility to easily combat both of those emotions.

2. Sergei Rachmaninoff – Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op 43 Variation XVIII: If you say 18th Variation to most pianists, they’ll know what piece you’re referencing. When I think back to my piano lessons, I think of my semi-Nazi teacher (oh but she was goooood) who commenced every lesson with scales, scales, and more scales. I am still faster at chromatic scales than any other person I’ve ever challenged. But on weeks when we did arpeggios, it just made mathematical sense to me. I enjoyed arpeggios. Even as cliché as this piece is, maybe I find it so soothing to hear those full keyboard arpeggio scales being pounded out in the middle of the piece. (youtube the Arthur Rubinstein version and you’ll get chills.)

1. Johannes Brahms – Klavierstucke, Op 118 No 2: The man invented the lullaby many times over. This is NOT his lullaby you are familiar with. This is nirvana. I lay my tongue to rest. If you listen to any piece listed here now, this one, I beg of you. (Go Go Go!)

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Must go take a classical music break, you've whet my appetite.

Mary said...

we have totally different classical music taste.

Biz said...

You listened to Prokofiev's. He's Russian. It's not pretty. It's intense.

Listen to the Brahms. LISTEN TO THE BRAHMS.