Friday, March 12, 2010

I See MY True Colors

Last night, I reviewed almost every piece of writing I have ever written which I've digitalized. I went through stories, essays, and blogs. In the spirit of honesty, I’ve been writing more and more on the side which means the 8 people who read my blog are seeing less and less.

Where are all of these other writings? Well a few have been submitted for publication and even fewer have actually made it. But it’s a side gig I’m playing very close to my heart so don’t expect me to point you towards print.

So this week when I was asked to pull a few samples together to submit for my very first, big girl, grown up writing portfolio, I was terrified. I feel there is very little worth showing another which I have written.

However, the most horrifying part came when reviewing all of my recent pieces. I shamefully confess I’ve gone emo.

When?

In the true character of being a girl, I blame boy. But with boy gone, I’m resolved once more to be the cheerful, bubbly girl I remember myself to be (before he robbed me of my yellow energy.)

This morning, I woke up and walked from my third floor bedroom to my third floor bathroom. In my third floor hallway floated a helium heart balloon still proclaiming my roommate’s boyfriend’s love for her… from Valentine’s day. And I smiled.

“Today I will be a happy girl,” I declared and luckily the sun has been on my side. Today I have been a very happy girl.

So embarking on one of the greatest challenges I can heap upon myself, and knowing that I am awful at committing to a daily accountability on this blog, I hereby start a 30 Days of Happiness experiment.

Every day for 30 days I will actively participate in one thing which makes me happy. And I will return and report. I don’t feel locked into feeling happy everyday as much as I feel compelled to proactively reign in my emotions.

Stay tuned.

1 comments:

Mary said...

One: this is going to be fabulous
Two: "i've gone emo" - when were you not emo???