Monday, March 1, 2010

When Are You the King of the World?

MIA. For months.

So with wet hair, here in my bed, I’m making a revival of a blog long since neglected in all my holiday busyness, personal assessments, and business engagements.

You may be expecting to hear the full version of narratives which have trickled out from the mouths of those lucky or perhaps unlucky enough to be around me in the moments shortly following the tales.

Sure, there was that incident in the orange grove over Christmas. Yes, I’ve added to my list of celebrity run-ins and it’s awkward to find out you’re seated behind his parents when you’ve just told your friend in detail how you would seduce him if the six seats which separate you both weren’t there. Go Sundance Film Festival. Or how the four hours in customs resulted with a permanently flagged passport. Furthermore, if you don’t know about HIM, you are way out of MY loop.

But to compose any of those would mean we would be here until I had dry hair and with work first thing tomorrow morning, I’m not ready to commit.

So instead, I wanted to pen a Valentine’s Day musing I experienced. With the buildup of the holiday thrust upon me from both the physical location I reside in and the weighty expectations of the culture of which I’m apart, I decided to change the definitive focus from a spotlight on lovers to my concentration on love.

And the most surprising thing happened. Of all the ruminating on love I’ve ever been exposed to, I considered one cliché to absolutely be poignant for me at this point in my life.

Last night with company, I closed the evening by watching Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet. I’ve concluded three things.

First, Shakespeare is the most beautiful and masterful manipulator of the English language I have ever been exposed to. He is my hero.

Second, both the male and female protagonist are the most tragically flawed, ridiculous characters lacking in even the most fundamental possession of reason ever. Still I love this play.

Finally, Romeo had it all figured out. And he is my hero. (Which is really just another shout out for my previous hero, the author.)

Love is the only thing still desperately sought after in this world. This speaks volumes to the undying most visceral desire of humanity from the beginning of time as probably the one of few elements to have survived a plethora of places, people, and time.

So when TMC’s countdown to the Oscars scheduled James Cameron’s Titanic, we were totally on board for the next 3 and a half hours (where I re-fell in lust with Leo.)

2 comments:

Mary said...

First, no way.
Second, yes.
Third, you are nuts. Wacko, he offs himself, what the heck does he have figured out - suicide?

Candace said...

I've missed you!! Glad you are back. :)