Day 15: Wake up early and do something.
I’ve spent the better part of my life missing life before 8AM. I imagine my theory behind this was to see what exactly I am missing.
Well, I suppose I will never find out what happens WELL before 8AM.
Eight o’clock in the morning is the time I woke up this morning. However, I contest this still counts because I sacrificed a day to sleep in for a day to get going while others were sleeping in.
I had taken my mobile phone in my hands to look at the time no sooner than it started to ring. My friend, S, was phoning and there are a handful of people I answer the phone for while I’m in bed. S is one of those.
“Hello, girl,” I groggily croaked.
“Good Morning, E! What are you doing right now? What are your plans for the day?” she chirped cheerfully into my ear.
“Nothing. I have nothing planned yet.”
“Well then I’ll be at your house in a half hour. I need to go to Salt Lake to pick out bridesmaid dresses for all of us bridesmaids.”
“Yay,” I murmured in monotone. “I’ll get ready.”
Without missing a beat, I put down the phone and immediately got out of bed. I knew I wasn’t going to shower. I knew I would only pull on some old jeans and a top. I knew all of this would take me 5 minutes.
But I knew today was my fourth attempt to execute this early morning gig and I just couldn’t handle another failed endeavor.
I was out of bed. I looked around. Should I read? Should I listen to music? Should I clean my room? What do people do when they are up early and are not early risers.
So I knelt. Beside my bed I knelt. I rested upon the mattress as if I were preparing for prayer.
Of course I ended up praying. What else was that position going to lead to? I hadn’t intended to pray and yet there I found myself prepared for no other task but that one.
I finished and straight away rolled onto my bum. Now what? I gazed out my window and up at the clear blue sky. Today was sunny and beautiful and I was just excited to get started.
So I picked up some clothes, put away some shoes, and hung up a towel.
You know, waking up early probably means more to someone with a routine. Exercise. Meditation. Whatever. I'm glad this morning only provided me with thirty minutes of reverence versus an hour or two of such.
Still, by the time 3PM had rolled around, I had been to Salt Lake City and back. I had spent quality time with a dear friend. I had been to the gas station, mall, and grocery store. And I was with my roommate headed out for a tanning session.
However most importantly, I had been up and about for seven hours per my usual Saturday three. Yes. There is something to be said for the productivity of the morning hours.
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Then Wake Up & Do Something More
Posted by Biz at 11:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment