Day 7: Revel in a happy memory.
This assignment serves as a reminder of fate’s fickle hand and is as simple as targeting the concept “this too shall pass.”
I’ve been in the most tumultuous relationship for a little more than two years.
When we met, I thought the fit was as good as I could ever hope to secure. I found the match advantageous for me in every way. But it only took a week for me to quickly discover I was in way over my head.
However, I fought for this connection. I rolled up my sleeves and dug in as I had never in my life done before. I had quit far easier affairs over much less.
As is unavoidable, the more I invested myself into this relationship, the more I felt inclined to sacrifice for this relationship. The more I sacrificed for this relationship, the more love I cultivated in the relationship.
Six months later, when I felt as though I was comfortably settling in to this association, I was hit by a devastating blow which almost divided me from my partner forever.
By some enormous miracle, I refused to give up my baby and this time I pulled on some boots and hiked up my pants to match my sleeves to go at it once more.
My constant companion of these past two years has been my job. I have given it my all and beyond. I have poured more blood, sweat, and tears into this endeavor than I have anything else in my life ever.
My happy memory is simply this. On my white board at work is a lavender post-it whose edges have dry-erase remnant on them and whose corners are curling.
It reads simply: Stop Smiling So Much!
The post-it was modestly left on my desk by a co-worker who watched me come out of my boss’s office upon acquiring the news of my hard earned promotion after a couple rounds of excruciating interviewing six months ago.
As is customary, the news is confidential until every candidate has been notified and an official communication goes out from management.
I love this crinkled souvenir from one of the happiest days of my life.
Friday, March 19, 2010
Makes It Worth The While
Posted by Biz at 11:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment