Thursday, March 18, 2010

You Should Know...

Day 6: Find a product you love and rave about it.

Initially, I just wanted a good excuse to go to the store and spend a bunch of frivolous money on products I never allow myself to buy in the name of happiness.

I placed this on my “happy list” the first night I was in bed with my mind racing through this 30 day thing over and over again.

One of the most impactful things I learned from a human behavior class regarding happiness has long since stuck with me. Your happiness at any given time depends on your ability to define yourself. Strengths. Weaknesses. Likes. Dislikes. Clinically we call it self-actualization.

Often times in the throes of marital or personal dissatisfaction, we frequently hear, “I just don’t know who I am anymore,” or any derivative of that concept (who he is anymore, he/she’s not who I married, I feel lost, etc…)

There is even an entire movie built around this premise. Runaway Bride. Essentially a happy person is a person who at the end of the day can not only tell you how they like their eggs but do so easily and quickly.

You will see this theme frequently from the heroes of historical narratives and most powerfully, the Savior of the universe nearly always introduces Himself by defining who He is.

“I am the Alpha and Omega. I am the beginning and the end. I am the light and the life, I am holy,” etc… and perhaps His most authoritative self declaration, “I am the Lord your God.”

Nevertheless, I’m not here to preach a sermon and this is not a collegiate course.

Finding a product was to be a process in which I found happiness through finding me. But I didn’t have to spend frivolous money after all.

Tonight I sat in front of the TV with friends and I began a process I have easily done one hundred times in the past year.

I took off and put on nail polish. I LOVE THIS HABIT.

I love painting my nails. I have been dedicated to the practice at least once every three days for the past year plus. I enjoy the clean finished look. I enjoy the feminine touch it adds to an outfit or my own personal confidence.

I am an OPI freak and can tell you the names of every single color I own. I can delineate between the collections. I love painting my nails.

Honestly, in all of the entries I’ve posted so far, I like this one the most. It makes me the happiest.

I am H and N’s daughter. I am one of many siblings. I love the sun and the ocean. Loyalty is the most important character trail to me.

I love linens especially high thread count sheets and big bright beach towels. I try to laugh often and to get others to laugh with me. I love seeing movies on opening night.

I am lactose intolerant but can’t resist oreos and milk. I am a naturally cheerful person. I love long hugs when you can feel the adoration of the other towards you. I am a night person.

And I LOVE painting my nails.

2 comments:

Candace said...

I took Maddy yesterday to get her nails done and I got a pedi....this is something I could get used to! I just wanted to let you know ...I love you. I miss you too. Thanks for the wonderful posts.. I LOVE reading them.

nicole said...

I love you too liza-bell-I'm so glad you are doing this...