Day 2: Compose and mail 10 cards.
The goal of this one is to simply get my mind off my selfish self and onto anyone else in this world.
Yeah. You heard me. Mail.
So I imagine I’ve already cheated at my game. Because today’s story started before today.
I mean, I’ve compiled a flexible list of 15 tasks for my modest experiment. I wanted to be sure I never missed a day because I was lacking an idea for a happy task. As today is Sunday and the post office is closed, I purchased stamps earlier.
I meandered into the archaic establishment we call the United States Post Office. Middle of the day. End of the week. How could this possibly be? A line? For mail?
Sure it’s cold outside but not Christmas. It’s a month, no two, no three past. Saint Patrick himself is the patron saint of alcohol. Saint Valentine, the patron saint of hallmark cards, has already moved along. Then why is everyone here right now?
In a desperate plot, I struggled for a plan to personally send a gmail invite to all of these woman. But the task to digitally educate seemed overwhelming. What next for them? Should I tell them about cameras on phones, photos on computers, and portable music on players as big as a stick of gum. No. I would not today. I could not today.
I left the line and walked over to a machine in the wall resembling an ATM. Sure this was to be my time saver and as big as my photo on this page was a touch button clear as day labeled “Purchase Stamps.”
Did these women know about this machine. Focus, E. You have work.
I purchased the stamps. The Liberty Bell stamp made my stomach ache for home. Focus, E. This is for a happy task. Not sad.
With stamps in hand, I felt that euphoric sensation rush my body. I walked to the car with the same feeling you get upon completing your taxes. “Sigh. Glad I don’t have to do that again for another year.”
I love pens. So with my favorite pen in hand, I penned 10 cards. It took an hour and a half. And I do feel happy.
Sunday, March 14, 2010
Dear Loved-One...
Posted by Biz at 11:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
one of those cards better be for me.
Post a Comment