Thursday, May 28, 2009

Waiting For The Stars To Fall

My keys jingled against my fingers as I lumbered sluggishly to my car after work.

With my sunglasses on, I threw my head back to take a deep breath and in so doing noticed the moon directly above me imitating the midday sun as a younger sibling mimics his elder.

The white orb was barely detectable against the bright late afternoon sky. Yet she was there and as foolish as it sounds, I smiled an acknowledgment to her.

Exhausted, I navigated myself home surrounded by the after work traffic weaving through the crowded streets journeying towards any reprieve.

Unlocking the door and tossing my belongings onto the kitchen table, up the stairs I plodded into my bedroom, closing the door behind me. I collapsed onto my bed in overwhelming fatigue.

My eyes fluttered shut and there I lay for the next hour.

I stirred awake and was immediately gripped with the guilt of a child having broken any household rule. Why did I feel this way?

The evening, lackluster in events, ended with a much needed drive. In an effort to just get out for a moment and breathe deeply this incredible nightfall, I leapt into my car and drove.

This time the moon was brilliantly shining and I felt a kinship to the cosmos once more.

Few things in this world can calm a stormy soul the way a night sky can.

The sound of a nearby creek. Gazing into a fire. Smelling a fresh baked dessert. Holding another’s hand.

0 comments: