Monday, April 27, 2009

Like It. Like It Not.

Lately I’ve been exceedingly conscious of my emotions. Yeah, I know. ME, more alert to my emotions. I assure you it can be a full time job.

Rewind.

I have another daunting birthday approaching this year. Not too quickly but sooner than I’d like.

Without launching into an Oprah tirade about being more and more comfortable in your body (which really does happen), I assert one definitely becomes more aware of one’s self. Your being. Your likes and dislikes. Your emotions.

I haven’t always, but I appreciate the opportunity to have had time to get good and acquainted with myself. Time to make a friend of myself.

Along with this come these opportunities to laugh at yourself and also to embarrass yourself. Yet at the end of the day, I’m left with only me.

Skip to present again.

I’ve been especially aware of my feelings. I have been able to see a situation generating around me and able to call my reaction seconds before it happens as though I were an outsider watching.

I guess THIS is growing up. Becoming alert to your potential self, evaluating its necessity or appropriateness, and then altering your potential self to truly reflect how you would prefer others to receive you.

Following is a very organic recording of some of my emotions in the past week. I guess with good friends and family, you can just out yourself. I’ve written in the ever simple and ever raw outline of likes and dislikes.

· Midday personal contact: If you deal with me at all, you know I work hard and I work long hours. Because of this, I appreciate my personal moments throughout any day, especially midday. I love Mindee’s BB texts, Mary’s updating phone calls, and even listening to Ashley’s screaming children. But Mary really gets me going in the middle of the day. I love midday shout outs.

· Fresh Laundry: I love linens. I have a love affair with sheets and towels. I love fresh laundry. It always feels good to pull fresh sheets and towels out of the dryer. I love washing your white sheets in the hottest temperature your washer will provide, with a cup of bleach, knowing you are killing at least half of the flu off of them. Aww. Clean sheets.

· Emotions: One in particular. Anticipation. Whether it’s good or bad, but particularly when it’s good. Wait. Wait. Wait. Now you can. YES!

· Barnes & Noble: This is my secular church. My sister(s/in-law) go to libraries. I go to B&N. Some days when I feel like I can’t talk to another person, I’ll turn my phone off and go to B&N right after work and not leave until they close. I’m a late blooming book worm and I like it.

· The Sun: I love it.

· The Snow: Go away. I dislike it on April 25th.

· A text for text and a call for call: Even if your response is 24 hours later, I am a true believer in returning what you have received. I dislike when there is a breakdown.

· Know your place: Don’t tell me you love a song more than anyone around you. Especially when I am around you. Especially when you don’t know the words to the song. Especially when you just heard it for the first time a day ago. I heard it last year, when I watched the movie, the night before I downloaded it. I love this song too. Enough to know when it was released. Trite? Yes. Fact? Yes.

· Holidays: Ever since all of my family moved away, I’ve grown to dislike holidays. I hate thinking about where I’m going to go or if I’m going to celebrate them.

· Vehicle Problems: My car is old and always breaking. It VEXES me greatly.

5 comments:

Mindee Graver said...

I love your BB texts as well! Always puts a smile on my face =)

I used to go to B&N all the time as well... hate to admit it, but a late and a good book... ahhh. I miss those days, but with 4 kiddos its a little difficult to just go there and get lost for hours... enjoy it while you can... better yet, enjoy it for the both of us!

and as for the "its MY favorite song!" lol! I am so there with ya! I'm always like, really?...Its YOUR favorite song... really? when you don't even know the words?... Really? This is the 2nd time you've heard it? really? Really? Ha ha! Where's Amy Pohler when you need her =) Really??

Okay, this is long enough. Love you and miss you!!!!

Mary said...

Of course I am funny in the middle of the day...I am funny any time of day. And it can be my favorite song even if I don't know the lyrics because sans primary songs that were brainwashed into me at a very vulnerable age I don't know the words to a single song. Some of us aren't "gifted" like you Elizabeth.

Gina Spidel said...

Amen Mary!!
Our MOTHER hammered Harmony into our brains, NOT words!! My sweetheart taught me to appreciate the WORDS in songs. Yes there are actually words in songs!! Who knew!!!

Biz said...

Sisters... it's NOT about the words here. I know you both to be passionate about songs which you may not know the words to.
It's about being ridiculous. And I have dislike having to be tolerant to ridiculous people. (Hypocritically said, of course.)

Beckie said...

I love to read. Since having Maggie have lost my connection to reading. I miss being totally wrapped up in someone or somewhere else. New goal: read a book on my sun porch before Jared arrives. Especially since I haven't even sat out on my sun porch since we bought the house. Wish you could join me!