Friday, October 2, 2015

White Flag

I learned in my undergraduate degree that perhaps the largest contributor to marital satisfaction is the management of expectations.

Anyone trying to successfully navigate any relationship has a working knowledge of this concept. "As my friend, I expect you to…" and the list ensues.

Dissatisfaction, simply put, is rooted in the failure to meet these expectations.

When you’re starting out, conflict grows out of inflexibility. But with time and maturity, our relationships can be blessings once we learn to evaluate, adjust, and rework those expectations. Our open mindedness is our greatest weapon against the war of enmity within our relationships.

I am a lover. And my relationships extend far beyond the notion of two people.


Dear Scotland,

Allow me to apologize. My skepticism of you made me lose sight of my true feelings.

I fell in love with you under the lens of romanticism depicted to me in music, art, literature, and cinema. I placed you on a pedestal you could never survive and wrapped you in a cloak of magic.

Upon meeting, your pastoral romance was replaced with urban living amongst many internationals. Your magic shattered into a million little pieces under the weight of my duty to the hard work of graduate school.

But dear Scotland, if you’ll allow me, I will spend my spare moments tracking down those shattered pieces until I am holding enough glittering twinkle to restore our romance.

It was my fault. I fell in love with what I thought you were. But I promise to fall in love with who you are.

Give me a chance?

Me

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. So much.