Monday, July 27, 2009

There Were Never Such Devoted...

I love her to death.

She’s a pain in my side if I tell her this. Actually, she’s a pain in my side when I disclose most anything of a personal nature to her.

She’ll act like she doesn’t care. And half the time she doesn’t. However, the other half of the time I know she’s hanging onto my every word, waiting to condemn me for the drama but secretly happy I’ve given her something to gnaw on.

She’s the first person I want to phone when I find out a girl at church will be on the next season of the Bachelor. She’s the first person I call when someone makes a gigantic fool of themselves because I know she’ll laugh as hard at the story as I did in real life.

She's the girl I’ll late night email back and forth with crazy pictures. She’s the girl I’ll email the Mamma Mia soundtrack at two songs an email until the 18 track disc has completely been shared. She’s the girl I forward THE email to from my phone the moment I get it. And we'll laugh as we dissect it over and over again.

I teach her the things she needs to know because that’s what I’m supposed to do. When the ridiculous Garmin has taken us into New Jersey, I tell her to stay in the car at the gas station. They pump it for you.

I'm the lifeline she uses when she needs pop culture trivia and I believe to date I've only failed her once. (I can't possibly know the names of people in commercials.) But sometimes I wonder if I’m not doing my job because she teaches me more.

I've seen her change into mini skirts in the passenger seat of a plymouth voyager and I have admired her for it. Because she dares to do what she wants. If a girl were to hypothetically get picked up for shoplifting, she's the person I'd want right beside me, openly mocking the officer.

If there were a play where there was a prince and a princess, she might be the only person I could relinquish the princess part to with no hard feelings. I would be her queen. I would be her supporting role anytime.

I love to french braid her hair. I love to climb into bed with her on my lunch break and take a nap. I love to watch TV with her namely reality television because really how funny is two people hooking up in the dark if it were any other person telling you about it? I love to rejoice in her skinny arms.

I love her family. Her husband. Her children. I love to watch her parent. She's not perfect. But she's pretty amazing in action. I love her.

I love her to death.

Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Mary said...

So to your credit my first thoughts were you're retarded.
But that is only because that is my deepest sense of affection saved mainly for my husband and you although as the kids get older they become included occasionally.

But I loved your tribute, I laughed, I cried well tears came but I think they were more from the laughter, I commented.

I love you to death Elizabeth. And someday I'll learn to be okay with tender emotions, but until then you just keep teaching me.

Beckie said...

Love her too and I teared up reading how much love you have for your sister! You guys are the best.

Ashley said...

lol, very cute!