Friday, March 14, 2008

Tick-Tock Tick-Tock

Leonard Bernstein said, “to achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan and not quite enough time.”

Now pick your jaw up off the floor if you’ve just comprehended the mass amount of truth given to us in point two seconds. Or, stop reading the blog until you realize the genius of the statement.

This past weekend, we once again tampered with our clocks. Though both daylight savings days each year inconvenience me, I confess the “springing forward” to be the more difficult of the two. After all, “falling back” merely robs you after you’ve woken up in the morning. All I know is the alarm clock is once again my technological nemesis.

In spite of this, it seems I can’t stop smiling. I can not stop at all. And I have nothing but a plan. One which seems to be powerful enough to emotionally buoy me in an unrecognizable fashion.

My time is spent fully every day. I laughed last night when my friend came over and I was cleaning. The last time she came over (last Saturday) I was cleaning. She cleverly remarked what an insane cleaner I was. Though true (I’m not OCD), I urged her to walk through my apartment which has been insanely unclean for the past five days. She found disaster in spades.

My cleanliness is directly correlated to my busyness. At the end of the day, I feel certain I pay more of a storage fee than rent and I’m being supremely ripped off.

Nevertheless in the past month, hard work, the same work which once scared me, has been the life source of a satisfaction I have long since known. My head is full. But so is my heart. I feel certain my alarm clock and I will always be battling and hopefully the lengthening days with lend to a truce between us.

Yet in the meantime, it’s like Einstein said. “The only reason for time is so that everything doesn’t happen at once.” And I’ve got plenty happening.

2 comments:

JP said...

You aren't sounding like the Elizabeth I met once. While you are as smart and clever as she was, I don't see the constant smile she had.
Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Biz said...

It's been a tough go the last little while. But I assure you I am as I ever was... smiling.