Even now as the night air probably sits at a frosty 35 degrees temperature, I can’t resist the need to always sleep with my window cracked. I just jumped out of the shower and my body is still running warm. My bed has welcomed me yet again after a long day and I can feel the cold air on my exposed face. I smell the scent of chimney smoke and although I’m trying, I can’t quite discern the type of wood which is being burnt.
All of my senses are currently equating the mood with the holidays. Though it’s not yet Halloween, I can already imagine a crystal clear scenario of Delilah on the radio playing. There are active overseas military shout outs to the families here in the states. “I want to wish my wife and 2 daughters at home in Illinois a Merry Christmas. I wish I could be there but I’ll be home soon. Daddy loves you.” The sentiment is followed by a great rendition of any festive song.
(Delilah is a closet indulgence of mine and ESPECIALLY around the holidays, I become a faithful listener to the soft sounds of… De-li-lah.)
So what does this all mean? It means life it good. It means even when life isn’t really good, every now and again you are granted a small escape into a dream world. A world providing an environment of rest. A world of better times and anticipation of good things to come.
So now I lie here listening to the cars on the main road outside my apartment. I don’t have the car I want, or the travel experience I want, or even the furniture I want. I’m acutely reminded I could be further along in career, love, and life.
Yet as I’m here in my bed, feeling the chilly air, and smelling a wood burning stove, I get to forget about the career, love, and life. I get to pretend I have all that I want because all that I want is in this moment. Now is the time to turn off my mind and allow myself to remember. Remember any and all of the good in life. And with this perspective, life IS good. Even without the car.
La dolce vita.
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Delilah
Posted by Biz at 12:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment