THE WHY.
I write.
A lot.
But most of my words are scribbled on pages and pages of
strewn about journals… in my house… where I live alone.
Last Sunday I sat in my friend’s living room with her
husband while their two kids danced and played around us until there was a
knock at the door.
The neighbor from a few doors down entered with her daughter
and a Sabbath day treat. She joined us,
a friend of my friend but a stranger to me.
The group of us conversed there together and I felt
happy. And when I’m happy, I sometimes
sing.
Stranger: Do you sing? You have a good voice.
Me: ((Dumbfounded in that “I used to sing but don’t anymore”
way.))
My Friend: Yeah, she
has a really good voice.
Me: ((Dumbfounded in
that “my friend has a better voice” way.))
Stranger: Yeah, you can tell you are a good singer.
I know, right? A
self-esteem booster for any of us.
I’m a creative. Emo
as my sister will readily confess to you on my more private behalf.
Music is my language. Still, I write because in all honesty, I can’t sing.
THE REAL WHY
I am aware many in the world write much better than I do.
And though I have put my pen to paper for many reasons, not
the least of all to earn some extra cash, I have one main reason for doing so.
I write for clarity.
Because when I write down the experience, record the
emotion, and plow through the details, nearly always, the wisdom manifests.
I have been marked many times by my superiors as being “wise
beyond my years.”
I value this compliment more than being labeled as a great
writer.
I’m a good writer at best.
But I’m a quick study and my major is life. Fortunately for me, my curriculum is not
multiple choice, rather in essay form. And
my passing grade is a badge I wear with honor as others take notice.
0 comments:
Post a Comment