Day 24: Resolve to lead the troupe… next time.
I think it’s fair to say I’m a natural leader. This has been a luxury I have long since enjoyed.
But I remember a dynamic a little more than a decade ago where I was not so confident of this trait within me. In high school, it seemed there was a fine balance between influencing and being influenced. At least there was for me.
You wanted to speak up and be heard; it’s what made you a leader and what gave you voice.
Surprisingly, half of being a leader was just having the guts to grab the mic and say something. I believe people are generally listening and watching for someone to do or say something so they can more easily and also more passively agree or disagree.
As an adult, I have become comfortable in life securing that mic and giving my opinion freely from it. Sometimes it is well received. Sometimes it is not.
There is a group with which I associate on a regular basis. I am surprised to have seen our dynamic shift many times in the course of the relationship.
Today I sat at lunch in the throes of conversation and in an effort to influence them kept finding myself being influenced by them. I clearly could discern this fact and yet could find little sway over the matter.
I walked away from it disappointed. I felt stripped of my maturity and witnessed the return of a fifteen year old girl within me desperately wanting approval, desperately seeking to fit in and be cool.
While putting myself through the ringer, I remembered, half of being a leader is losing a fight. After all, people want to feel like they elected you rather than feel ruled by you.
Don’t seek to control others. Seek to influence them.
Monday, April 5, 2010
Follow the Leader?
Posted by Biz at 10:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment